One of those fun things to do

Becca at I Read That Once has asked about reading habits.  So, here are my answers to her questions--


Do you snack while you read? If so, favourite reading snack:
Not very much, but when I do, chocolate!

What is your favourite drink while reading?
Ice water.  Diet Dr. Pepper sometimes.

Do you tend to mark your books as you read, or does the idea of writing in books horrify you?
I don't usually.  Also, I read a lot of library books!  But even if I own the book, it mostly doesn't occur to me to mark it up unless something really jumps out at me.  Even then I tend to go for small bits of paper stuck in to mark places instead.

How do you keep your place while reading a book? Bookmark? Dog-ears? Laying the book flat open?
Usually a bookmark--I have a spot for bookmarks and try to keep a decent supply there.  Some of mine have been floating around for years, like the one from Berkeley Book Consortium, which went out of business eons ago (I bought my copy of Spellcoats and most of Andrew Lang's colored fairy books there, it was a good place).  I don't like to do the other two but (shhh) sometimes will.

This used bookstore is still open, so you can visit it and get a bookmark.  


Fiction, non-fiction, or both?
Half and half!

Are you a person who tends to read to the end of a chapter, or can you stop anywhere?
I can stop anywhere.  Since becoming a parent, I've perfected the art of reading a book one paragraph at a time.

Are you the type of person to throw a book across the room or on the floor if the author irritates you?
Gosh, I would never throw a book!  I might throw one in the trash (if it's too decrepit to donate) but I've never thrown one.  I guess I usually shove it on to my library shelf to get rid of.

If you come across an unfamiliar word, do you stop and look it up right away?
Now that I have my tablet, I am much more likely to stop and look it up.

What are you currently reading?
Madame Bovary, Bleak House, A Farewell to Arms, and Warbreaker.  I am supposed to be reading Little Women, so I think I need to put Bleak House down for a while, but I don't want to.  (This list makes me sound far more literary than I usually am.  It's pure coincidence that there isn't a Margery Allingham mystery or something on there too.)

What is the last book you bought?
Er.  I'm not sure.   I don't buy books very often.  Amazon says The Book of the City of Ladies back in January, but I must have bought something at the local bookstore since then, right?  Oh! I bought Earwig and the Witch when it came out.  I haven't read it yet because it's the very last new DWJ book I'll ever get to read, and I've been putting it off.  I gave one copy to a niece and my kids have read our copy three times each.

Are you the type of person that reads one book at a time, or can you read more than one?
I always have several going at once.  It's pretty ridiculous really.

Do you have a favourite time/place to read?
Wherever I can manage it!  I guess my favorite would be on the couch snuggled up with my husband.

Do you prefer series books or stand alones?
I never thought about it!

Is there a specific book or author you find yourself recommending over and over?
Oh sure.  Diana Wynne Jones, always, and then my other favorites too.  Elizabeth Goudge, quite a bit.

How do you organize your books? (by genre, title, author's last name, etc.)
 By genre or subject, and within that according to what makes most sense.  The various fiction sections are all by author, the history is chronological, the religion is sort of by topic.  I have a bunch of sections that are just one or two shelves, like classical literature, mythology, essays, housekeeping, biographies...those are all just stuck on the right shelves in no particular order.

Comments

  1. I love that Bleak House is so good you're having trouble putting it down. That's awesome. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I'd love to know what you think, so please comment!

Popular posts from this blog

The Four Ages of Poetry

Ozathon #1: The Wonderful Wizard of Oz