Mount TBR Check-In

It's time for another check-in at Mount TBR, and I'm not doing so hot.  Bev says:

1. Tell us how many miles you've made it up your mountain (# of books read).  If you're really ambitious, you can do some intricate math and figure out how the number of books you've read correlates to actual miles up Pike's Peak, Mt. Ararat, etc. 


So far I've read 10 books, which puts me at less than halfway to my goal of 24.
  1. Anna Karenina, by Lev Tolstoy
  2. The Middle Window, by Elizabeth Goudge
  3. The Portrait of a Lady, by Henry James 
  4. The Souls of Black Folk, by W. E. B. DuBois
  5.  The Autobiography of an Ex-Colored Man
  6. The Chemical History of a Candle, by Michael Faraday
  7. Last of the Mohicans, by James Fenimore Cooper 
  8. Botchan, by Natsume Soseki 
  9. The Echoing Green, by Gillian Avery 
  10. Making Their Own Peace, by Ann N. Madsen 


2. Complete ONE (or more if you like) of the following:


A. Who has been your favorite character so far? And tell us why, if you like.

Kitty from Anna Karenina, and Botchan too.  Kitty is pretty lovable, and Botchan is just fun.


B. What has been your most difficult read so far.  And why?  (Length?  Subject matter?  Difficult style?  Out of your comfort zone reading?)
Last of the Mohicans was a long slog.  It felt longer than Anna Karenina, and not nearly as pleasant.  Cooper's writing style is just awful.

C. Which book (read so far) has been on your TBR mountain the longest? Was it worth the wait? Or is it possible you should have tackled it back when you first put it on the pile? Or tossed it off the edge without reading it all?
 Last of the Mohicans should have been tossed off the edge!  Let's see, at least three of the titles have been on my pile for at least 10 years: Souls of Black Folk, Autobiography of an Ex-Colored Man, and Making Their Own Peace.  All were very good, and I should have read them years ago.

Comments

  1. I've never read Last of the Mohicans. I read The Deerslayer long ago and far away (by choice in high school) and really liked it. I'm not sure I would now though....

    You and I are both two away from our mid-point goals. Hopefully we can make up ground in the second half of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, if you didn't pick such darn long books, you could get up the mountain faster. You need to put a few good short books into that TBR pile. It's your own fault.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never read Anna Karenina.. I'd like to at some point.

    Keep working up your mountain, you're getting there! Remember, there is a lot of year left!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I'd love to know what you think, so please comment!

Popular posts from this blog

The Four Ages of Poetry

Ozathon #1: The Wonderful Wizard of Oz