Mount TBR: Check-in #3

Bev at My Reader's Block is hosting the Mount TBR Challenge, and it's time for a third-quarter check-in!  Bev says I need to do two things:

1. Tell us how many miles you've made it up your mountain (# of books read).  If you're really ambitious, you can do some intricate math and figure out how the number of books you've read correlates to actual miles up Pike's Peak, Mt. Ararat, etc. 

2. Complete ONE (or more if you like) of the following:
A. Who has been your favorite character so far? And tell us why, if you like.
B. What has been your most difficult read so far.  And why?  (Length?  Subject matter?  Difficult style?  Out of your comfort zone reading?)
C. Which book (read so far) has been on your TBR mountain the longest? Was it worth the wait? Or is it possible you should have tackled it back when you first put it on the pile? Or tossed it off the edge without reading it all?
D. Choose 3-5 titles from your stacks and using a word from the title, do an image search.  Post the first all-eyes-friendly picture associated with that word.

My goal is Mont Blanc, 25 books high.  So far I have read 17, so I need to get 8 more books read in the next 3 months!  Uh-oh.  Maybe I should pick some of the shorter books, since I've been choosing gigantic tomes.  (I just went and looked at my pile.  They are all long books!  Eek.)

I think The Autobiography of an Ex-Colored Man has probably been on my pile the longest.  I'm sure I bought that in Berkeley, probably around 1995.  It was a good book, so I'm glad I finally got to it.  I could have read it years ago, but it didn't change my life or anything so I'm not sure it matters.

  1. Anna Karenina, by Lev Tolstoy
  2. The Middle Window, by Elizabeth Goudge
  3. The Portrait of a Lady, by Henry James 
  4. The Souls of Black Folk, by W. E. B. DuBois
  5.  The Autobiography of an Ex-Colored Man
  6. The Chemical History of a Candle, by Michael Faraday
  7. Last of the Mohicans, by James Fenimore Cooper 
  8. Botchan, by Natsume Soseki 
  9. The Echoing Green, by Gillian Avery 
  10. Making Their Own Peace, by Ann N. Madsen 
  11. In the First Circle, by Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn 
  12. Black Sheep, by Georgette Heyer 
  13. The 13th Element, by John Emsley
  14. The Forgotten Man, by Amity Shlaes 
  15. St. Thomas Aquinas/St. Francis of Assisi (biography by G. K. Chesterton) 
  16. A Suitable Boy, by Vikram Seth 
  17. When Ladies Go A-Thieving, by Elaine Abelson 

     
     

Comments

Post a Comment

I'd love to know what you think, so please comment!

Popular posts from this blog

The Four Ages of Poetry

Ozathon #1: The Wonderful Wizard of Oz