Unnatural Creatures

Unnatural Creatures: Stories selected by Neil Gaiman

This was an excellent spooky read for fall!  If you're doing RIP, be sure to grab this new collection of stories chosen by Neil Gaiman.  They are all stories about creatures.  And it's brand-spanking-new--for once I got in early!


There is a great variety--some stories are old, some are contemporary.  They are funny or creepy--or both.  I particularly liked the first selection (which does not have a pronounceable title), "The Compleat Werewolf," and "Come, Lady Death."  Gaiman's own contribution is "Sunbird," which I have read somewhere before but is well worth a re-read, and of course he had to include a Diana Wynne Jones selection, which is "The Sage of Theare."  (I don't know why that one; I can think of a few others that are more in line with the creature theme, but hey, I like the story just fine.)

Pick this up if you like creepy, or fantasy, or Halloween reads.


Comments

  1. I don't even remember "The Sage of Theare" except very vaguely. Anyway, this sounds like an excellent collection of stories -- I was reluctant at first to pick it up because I was worried all the stories would be way way horrorish. But it sounds like that's not the case at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was worried about that too, but honestly it seemed like these were stories that tickled Gaiman's 'weird' bone rather than the horror one.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I'd love to know what you think, so please comment!

Popular posts from this blog

The Four Ages of Poetry

Ozathon #1: The Wonderful Wizard of Oz